Whether it’s transportation issues, translation and interpretation needs, or a lack of health insurance – barriers to healthcare need to be addressed and equitably transformed.
Structural & System Barriers are obstacles that collectively affect a group disproportionately and perpetuate or maintain stark disparities in outcomes. Structural barriers can be policies, practices, and other norms that favor an advantaged group while systematically disadvantaging a marginalized group.
(Source: Urban Institute)
Community project applications in this category should offer strategies such as combating structural & systemic barriers to basic needs, particularly in healthcare such as language/communication, transportation, income, lack of care providers, lack of insurance, racism, sexism, etc.
Examples of Activities:
- Educate providers on systemic barriers like racism, sexism, etc. via cultural competency training
- Providing telehealth services to patients/clients with no access to transportation to and from appointments
- Provide transportation vouchers and passes
- Hire community health worker(s) to address social determinants of health and provide referrals to community resources
Do you need additional scoping support prior to submitting an application?
Please schedule your pre-submission scoping call with Sunny Lu Williams:
She can help:
1. Listen and provide recommendations on your proposed project BEFORE you apply.
2. Provide introductions to community partners for collaboration.
3. Walk through the grant application process.
4. Walk through the grant templates.
Schedule today: https://calendly.com/techserv-sunny/intww